Keeping kids active in the winter can be a challenge, but it’s not impossible. Here are some ideas to help keep kids moving.
- Go outside. Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean that you have to stay there. With the right amount of layers, playing outside in the winter can be very enjoyable. Kids can walk the dog, go for a hike, shoot hoops or play in the snow.
- Seek out an indoor gym. Find an empty gym at a church or a school or join a facility that has a large gymnasium. Other indoor places may include an indoor trampoline park, a roller rink, a bowling alley or an indoor pool.
- Take an indoor class. Sign your child up for a sport or a class like ninja warrior or gymnastics.
- Work out while gaming. Many gaming systems offer games that incorporate movement like dancing and jumping.
- Limit screen time. The less time kids spend on screens, the more time they have to move their bodies. Most kids won’t move if they have the option of watching a screen.