In today’s world, kids have ample exposure to screens and spend a lot of time sitting. This is having an impact on kids’ health and happiness. Here are some tips to help them ditch the screens and move more.
- Be a Role Model. Children who see their parents being active, are more likely to be active themselves.
- Play with Your Children. Take a hike together, play basketball or catch in the yard, walk the dog or sign up for a class together.
- Use Exercise as Transportation. Walk your child to school, ride bikes to the park, park far away at stores and take stairs instead of elevators.
- Make it Fun. Children are more likely to do something if it’s fun. Turn on music and have a dance party, turn on a Go Noodle and follow along, play a movement video game like Dance Dance Revolution.
- Give Gifts that Encourage Physical Activity. Bicycles, roller skates, balls, etc. Activity tracking apps can be fun for kids as well.
- Limit Screen Time. Talk about screen time expectations and set a time limit. You can also have a set of movement activities that need to be completed before they are able to use their screen.