Pupil Personnel Services and Special Education
Ford Heights School District 169 provides and maintains appropriate and effective educational programs in order to assure that every eligible child who has a disability, is enrolled in the school district, and requires special education and related services to address the adverse effects of the disability on his or her education, receives a free and appropriate public education(FAPE).The Pupil Personnel Services & Special Education Department administer supportive services for students who are experiencing academic, emotional or social challenges and coordinate the district’s health, counseling and rehabilitative services.
In addition to providing programs for students with identified disabilities, the Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) department assumes the responsibility for addressing the needs of students who have medical or emotional challenges as well. The department is staffed with qualified, master degreed individuals who are trained in the areas of psychology, counseling, speech and language therapy and social work. The services provided by these professionals are organized and delivered to help students achieve maximum benefit from the school program and provide optimum teaching and learning experiences for district students. This team of professionals is also responsible for screening and early detection of district residents by age three.
The Goals of the Pupil Personnel Services & Special Education Department are:
- Maintain district compliance with Federal and State guidelines concerning students with disabilities.
- Identify children with special needs before they enter school and provide services to them.
- Develop individualized education programs (IEPs) that focus on improving educational results through the general education curriculum.
- Educate disabled children with their non-disabled peers to the extent possible.
- Strengthen the role of parents and foster partnerships between parents and the district.
- Provide support services to administration and teachers as they implement intervention and behavioral programs.
- Provide instructional support services to students who are presented with educational challenges.
THEME: ANCHORED IN EXCELLENCE!